Gingerbread is great and all but Gingerbread CUPCAKES? Sign me up!
The lemonyness of this frosting really goes really nicely with the spice of these cupcakes, what a perfect combination. As you can see from the image I had to take the cupcakes into work as I was finding they were going much too well with my afternoon cup of coffee, morning cup of tea, late night glass of milk… you get the point.
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
From Gonna Want Seconds and slightly adapted from Epicurious
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup)-softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 teaspoon baking soda
8 ounce cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 stick (1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Into a bowl sift together the flour, the ground ginger, the cinnamon, the cloves, the allspice, and the salt.
2. In another bowl cream 1/2 stick of the butter, add the granulated sugar, and beat the mixture until it is fluffy. Beat in the molasses and the egg, beating until the mixture is smooth.
3. In a measuring cup combine the baking soda with 1/2 cup boiling water and stir the mixture until the baking soda is dissolved.
4. Stir the mixture into the molasses mixture (the mixture will appear curdled) and stir the molasses mixture.
5. Stir the molasses mixture into the flour mixture, stirring to combine the ingredients well.
6. Line twelve 1/2-cup muffin tins with paper liners and pour the batter into the liners, filling them evenly with all the batter.
7. Bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. (The cupcakes will be flat or slightly indented on top.) Transfer the cupcakes to a rack and let them cool.
1. In a bowl cream together the cream and cheese, softened butter until smooth.
2. Add the confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla, and beat the mixture until it is fluffy and smooth.
3. Beat in the zest and the lemon juice and chill the frosting for 30 minutes. Spread or pipe the frosting on the cupcakes and EAT.